- Floyd Mayweather returns to the ring this weekend for a PPV exhibition that airs Saturday in the US.
- The American said this week he’d come out of retirement for one last fight against Conor McGregor.
- McGregor, though, said he wasn’t interested in a since-deleted tweet.
said he wants to fight for a second time once he’s participated in his exhibition Sunday.
The American boxer, who retired from the sport in 2017 after beatingstar McGregor in the 10th round of a crossover match, continues to earn significant paydays by taking part in unofficial combat sports shows.
Four years ago, he fought the up-and-coming Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa in an exhibition — winning inside one round, before making Nasukawa cry.
He then teased a year in which he’d take part in six exhibitions to generate a nine-figure payday, however, not one of those events materialized.
In 2021 he met Logan Paul in a Miami ring for an eight-round punch-up, and this year traveled to the United Arab Emirates for a scrap with his former sparring partner Don Moore in Abu Dhabi.
Mayweather’s next exhibition is this weekend, returning to Japan to appear in the Rizin 38 show against MMA star Mikuru Asakura. It will air Saturdayin the US because of the time difference.
“I told you a long time ago,” Mayweather said in a training video he posted Thursday to Instagram. “I’m in the check-cashing business.”
He added: “Easy payday, easy check, easy opponent. That’s all I do. Line ’em up like bowling pins, I knock ’em down. Y’all keep fighting hard fights, I’m going to keep doing exhibitions.
“Stealing money — a legalized bank robbery.”
Mayweather challenges McGregor in what he says would be a $100 million payday
Though Mayweather has previously indicated that he had no intention of ever fighting again for real,that he’d welcome a rematch against the former two-weight UFC champion Conor McGregor.
“Hopefully me and Conor McGregor can lock up in 2023 in a real fight,” Mayweather told the gossip website.
“They already talked to me about the number that I’m going to receive, and of course, it’s nine figures,” Mayweather said.
“You know we gotta start at least at $100 million for Floyd Mayweather. I’m always the A-side. My philosophy is ‘never stop getting it.’
“But if I’m not taking any bodily harm or if I’m not taking any abuse, then I can go out there, have fun and entertain the people.”
One person not entertained by the verbal offer was McGregor himself,— in a since-deleted message — to say he’s “not interested.”
This is a contrast to how he seemingly felt in July, when the two marquee fighters.
McGregor even posted a cryptic message, saying: “I accept.”
Dana White said he’d need ‘dementia’ to get on board with Mayweather vs. McGregor 2
The Irishman remains locked into a UFC deal and would require approval from boss Dana White.
The MMA figurehead, though, told Insider and other reporters earlier this year that Mayweather vs. McGregor 2 rumors were “bullshit.”
When asked what it would take for him to get personally involved in the conversation surrounding a second Mayweather-McGregor promotion, White quipped: “Dementia,” before laughing.